Friday, May 15, 2009

Accommodative esotropia

















Is the diagnosis that the eye doctor gave Noah today. It is a form of strabismus which means his eyes are misaligned and point in different directions.
Accommodative esotropia "occurs in farsighted children two years or older. When a child is young, he or she can focus the eyes to adjust for the farsightedness, but the focusing effort (accommodation) to see clearly causes the eyes to cross."

Basically, he's farsighted, and his right eye rolls in when he's trying to focus. Glasses should correct the problem.
However, the new problem will probably be trying to keep glasses on his face.

8 comments:

Jennifer said...

Oh welcome to the world of accomodative esotropia! Now, just PRAY that you don't have to patch...that is a total pain in the butt! Noah will look SO cute in glasses...I know about the keeping them on part though. Ben went through several frames that first year...get bendy ones that have a warranty :)!

erin said...

Oh, Noah.... you are going to look so darn cute in peepers! Maybe you can get some Spiderman or Batman ones!

Erica said...

I've never noticed that about his eyes before?!?! Maybe that's why he looks so ornery?! :) And of course it would be him that needs glasses and not Eli..I envision a lot of broken/bent frames in the future! :)

Anonymous said...

I think Jennifer had more influence on Noah than we realized in those early days... she had the same diagnosis when she was five.. wore glasses til around 10, and was out of them til now.... and it's Bifocals at 41!!! Maybe the glasses will keep things lined up enough he'll want to keep them on... we can hope.. Give the boys a hug for me, I miss them.
Love, Grandma Cathy

Anonymous said...

Maybe the glasses will provide significant relief for him and he'll WANT to wear them. He's going to look adorable in specs!
Kelly

Krista said...

He will look very cute. I'm sure keeping them on will be a struggle. How in the world did you get that last pic?!

Heidi said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Heidi said...

That last picture is kind of what he does when he first tries to look right into the camera. I have a lot of those pictures (maybe not that bad). Erica, the reason you've never noticed his eyes is because he just started doing that a few months ago, and it probably wasn't that bad the last time we saw you.